Whether you’re looking for a subtle change or dramatic transformation, porcelain veneers may be the answer. A porcelain veneer is a thin, translucent shell of tooth-like material that is bonded to the front of teeth.
Indianapolis dentist Dr. Smith incorporates porcelain veneers into cosmetic dentistry treatments for patients who want to improve the beauty, health, or function of their teeth. Porcelain veneers may be used to treat a variety of dental health or cosmetic concerns:
- Diastemas (spaces between teeth)
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Discolored teeth that can’t be bleached
- Uneven or crooked teeth
PORCELAIN VENEERS: WHAT TO EXPECT
The process for porcelain veneers is fairly simple. Dr. Smith puts much of her emphasis on the pre-treatment planning to ensure predictable, natural looking results at the final appointment. Here is what you might expect:
- Initial Consultation & Examination – Regardless of your treatment, you will receive a comprehensive consultation and examination with Dr. Smith. During this visit, she will inspect your teeth, gums and mouth and determine if porcelain veneers are right for you. Next, she will map out a customized treatment plan to meet your cosmetic goals as well as address your health concerns.
- Modeling– Dr. Smith will fully explain your treatment and answer any questions that you might have. You will have an opportunity to view photos of other patients who’ve undergone treatment with porcelain veneers. Dr. Smith may use 2-D and 3-D renditions to show you what your teeth will look like after treatment.
- Tooth Preparation– Dr. Smith will begin treatment by preparing the teeth for the porcelain veneers. In most cases, this involves removing a small amount of the natural tooth structure to allow room for the porcelain veneers in your mouth. Dr. Smith will take impressions of your teeth that will be sent to a dental laboratory where the permanent porcelain veneers will be made.Typically, temporary dental veneers are placed over the teeth for protection and esthetics. Temporary dental veneers are made of plastic and temporarily sealed to the front of the teeth. These are typically worn for 2 – 3 weeks while the permanent dental veneers are being fabricated at the laboratory.
- Final Fit & Restoration – When the porcelain veneers arrive from the laboratory, Dr. Smith will try them on to check their fit, shape and color. She will make any minor adjustments that might be needed before permanently bonding the porcelain veneers to the teeth.
- After Care – Porcelain veneers require some special care. Dr. Smith will review instructions with you and show you how to floss and brush the dental veneers. Routine dental cleanings and examinations are important to ensure long term health and proper fit. Porcelain veneers are highly stain resistant and will look bright for years to come